By Associated Press | Thursday, September 11, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com |
The Foreign Ministry said it has for the second time turned down a
Hurricanes Ike and Gustav, which struck last week, together damaged 320,000 homes on the island, Cuban civil defense officials reported Thursday.
The Cuban government has not released an overall damage estimate, but the tally could surpass $2 billion. According to official figures, the average cost of constructing a new home in
After Ike, the
U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Sunday rejected the idea of lifting any aspect of the embargo.
The Foreign Ministry said
On Wednesday, Cuban-born U.S. Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez told The Associated Press that the
Some aid organizations already had a presence in
Cuban-American groups and several Democratic members of Congress have called on the Bush administration to relax restrictions on travel and remittances for people to visit and take cash and goods to relatives in
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama is among them.